Tuesday 31 July 2012

Quay Designs

Vintage? Yes. Creative? Yes. Irish? Yes..... We stumbled upon this gorgeous shop after leaving the used furniture store the other day. Cliona Higgins of Quay Designs will make all your furniture dreams come true! Well, that is if your furniture dreams include unique vintage furniture in bright, happy colours all snug inside an old brick building along the lovely River Lee...












Isn't she cute? And so talented! She was on her 6th coat of paint when I took this photo. And I think I'm doing well when I put on a second coat of paint. Oh dear...

And look at the outside! 
The bunting and those gorgeous doors lured us in.



So, thanks to Cliona, I was inspired to re-do my lovely corner cupboard properly! As in, sanding, cleaning, undercoat, etc.

It smelled horrible. Like stale tobacco and sour alcohol mixed with mildew. I scrubbed it for ages!


Then I sanded it and painted it with an undercoat. I almost just left it this colour because I really liked it. 

I wanted the inside to be bright, so I mixed a bunch of old blue and green paint I had...
 And then I painted the inside blue and the outside white.
And here it is, in the corner!

 I put this tea set inside, along with some old books

I love my new corner cupboard! 
(and look at my bouquet of sweet peas from the garden! Yay!)


8 comments:

  1. OH MY GOSH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    i looooove it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    you made the color so beautiful!!!!!and Wow!!!!!Amazing<3!Lovely tea set!!!!!!!!!!!
    Cliona is such a pretty name too:)
    xoxoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. your piece turned out fabulous. you did a super duper job. I luv your dinning room. it's beautiful. you rock!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks tiff! i'm loving your blog too by the way! you're an inspiration :)

      Delete
  3. rachel, that dining room is GORGEOUS! so different than when i saw your house last! we must make a visit soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hey jannelle! thanks so much :) i'd love if you guys came out! mike and eoin had so much fun out there at your house last week by the way!

      Delete
  4. I love your sitting room too! Clio

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. aw thanks clio! i bet your house is amazing if it's anything like your shop!

      Delete